Katelyn Schmitt Kemper, LCSW, CADC
Alcohol Counselor for Chicago Compass Counseling
Addiction Counselor for Chicago Compass Counseling
Recovery Counselor for Chicago Compass Counseling
Hi, I'm Katelyn.
I help people thrive in their recovery.
I help people thrive in their recovery.
On Being a CounselorOne of the things I love about my work is creating an environment where you feel safe to share your story and feel heard. Respectful and collaborative listening, developing trust and building a safe space are cornerstones of the work we will do together.
As such, my approach with clients is one where YOU are the expert of your own story and experience. I provide caring attention to you in offering tailored recommendations to fit your needs. I believe that addiction and recovery are about so much more than sobriety: true recovery is about you THRIVING.
Book your complimentary phone consultation.
Practitioner BackgroundAfter graduating from Indiana University with a degree in psychology, I briefly moved into a corporate setting. Over time, I began to realize that fulfillment for me meant working directly with people and helping them become their own positive force for change.
I knew I had to pursue my dream of being a therapist. After enrolling at Loyola University, I focused on learning about the relationship between mental health and substance abuse and how each impacts the other.
For several years, I have helped people navigate the process of addiction treatment and recovery. Throughout my career, I have appreciated that my recommendations must always need to be tailored to your unique goals. I am committed to building a supportive and therapeutic relationship with you that will foster an environment where change can take root.
My approach to counseling integrates multiple modalities. My experience ranges from group facilitation to individual therapy. I am inspired by Brene Brown's work on shame and vulnerability, and strive for a strength-based, client-centered approach.
I also understand that most people find their way to healing outside of rehab settings. If you are just beginning your journey of changing your relationship with drugs or alcohol, I am here to help you develop a game plan and to explore the complex dynamics of that relationship. With integrity and care, I will guide you towards freedom from addiction.
If you are ready to explore your wellness in recovery, I am here to help. Call or text (312) 715-8234, or email [email protected] to schedule your intake with me.
More about Katelyn
Key Philosophical Beliefs
- Recovery starts with positive connection.
- You are the expert of your life.
- You deserve respect and collaboration in the therapeutic relationship.
- Healing from addiction occurs when you connect with your inner strengths.
- Exceptional recovery counseling involves illuminating your strengths rather than just giving you knowledge.
- Although strategies and skills are essential, you are the expert of your own life.
- Masters in Social Work (MSW), Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) is Psychology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Training
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Training
- Co-Occurring Disorders Training
- Courage Works Training
Specializations and Experience
- Aftercare counseling and recovery
- Rehabilitation and care coordination
- Evidence-based integrative counseling
- American Society of Addiction standards and clinical recommendations
- Opioid abuse recovery
- Treatment navigation counseling
Katelyn as a PersonI was born in Detroit and lived in Memphis and Omaha before settling in Chicago, which has been my home for more than 15 years. I completed my undergraduate degree at Indiana University before moving back to Chicago to complete my Masters at Loyola University, specializing in mental health and substance abuse. I sit on the Alzheimer's Association Junior Board, a cause that is near and dear to my heart. In my spare time, I love to travel with my husband, read, and spend quality time with my family and friends.
If you'd like to work with Katelyn or one of our therapists, contact us to schedule your appointment.