Alyssa Fatigato, LSW
Gender Affirmative & Queer-Aligned Therapist
Alcohol Moderation Counselor
American Sign Langauge Therapist
Hi, I'm Alyssa. I help young adults connect to their inner wisdom.
If you’re a high-achieving young adult who struggles with addictive behavior, it makes sense if you feel chronically misunderstood. You’ve heard non-stop about the importance of “self-care.” But self-care might feel impossible if you’re just trying to get from one day to the next.
Addictive behaviors like problem drinking, drug misuse, overwork, procrastination, and self-harm are common coping strategies for trauma survivors. And while these behaviors create (temporary) feelings of relief, they don’t provide lasting comfort and psychological safety.
You can replace survival coping with strategies that honor your identities and values. My approach is both relational and behavioral. We will start by taking time to understand the function of your coping behavior while affirming how it helped you survive. Together, we will explore a range of strategies to help you find confidence and calm.
Whether you are new to counseling or have tried counseling before, I am here to ensure you receive the highest quality of care. Our work starts with where you are in your change process. Through a compassionate relationship, I am here to help you connect to lasting change.
On Being a Counselor
I am passionate about helping people who have struggled to find the true path of healing. The foundation of my approach is authentic connection. As a counselor, I take time to honor and understand all of the ways my clients coped to survive and get their needs met. I partner with clients to explore how alternative forms of regulation can bring relief instead of distress.
We will take time to define what safety looks like for you. I will provide a welcoming environment where you will be affirmed and invited to begin a pathway of healing.
I decided to become a counselor when I discovered that life-changing healing is possible. I also witnessed just how often people are harmed by “one size fits all” care.
Before change can happen, each of us needs to feel seen and understood. If you’ve experienced counseling before with no results, it is likely that counseling failed to illuminate your inner resilience.
Today, I skillfully use my lived experience to collaborate with clients who know what it’s like to seek relief from limiting, self-defeatist behaviors. I am different from therapists who label clients as “treatment-resistant” in that I center creativity.
You can find a path to transformation. Reach out today to get started. When you call our scheduling line, our Intake Coordinator can answer any questions you might have. To schedule your first appointment, click on this link or email [email protected] to schedule your first consultation. I'm here for you.
More About Alyssa
Key Philosophical Beliefs
- You are the expert of your own life
- By reconnecting with ourselves and others, we can create a renewed sense of self.
- People who engage in addictive behaviors need connection, not shame
- Trauma can be a collective experience of “too much all at once”
- Our brains and bodies can heal as we create new neural pathways and connections to our bodies.
- All people are capable, creative, and resourceful
- Healing is a lifelong process and is intricately connected to identity formation and acceptance.
- Administrative Master’s in Social Work (AM), University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Bachelor of Science in International and Community Development, Indiana Wesleyan University
- Trauma Responsive Social Work
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Training
- Motivational Interviewing Training
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Training
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Training
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (MBCT)
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT)
Specializations and Experience
- Youth and young adult counseling
- Anxiety management and recovery
- Alcohol moderation counseling
- Identity exploration
- Trauma-informed care
- American Sign Language Therapy (ASL Therapy)
- Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) (membership in progress)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder counseling
- Training seminars
- Educational support
Alyssa as a Person
I was born and raised in Des Plaines, Illinois. I lived in Indiana for 3.5 years for undergrad, so I’ve stayed primarily in the Midwest. I love being outside. As an avid biker and runner, I enjoy finding nature in Chicago, whether that be at a specified park or a hidden, secluded piece of land in the midst of the chaos. Some of my favorite local activities include eating at vegan restaurants, swimming in the lake, and reading on a blanket in a local park. I learned American Sign Language as a kid to talk with my older brother. In my free time, I enjoy hosting friends for movie nights and spending time at forest preserves with my dog, Dream.